The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
Reports to: Senior Project Finance analyst
Job Grade: TBA
Location: Amboseli, Kenya
I. Mission of the Unit: The Project Finance Unit serves WWF Kenya as the vital link between programmes, donors, and operations. In doing so we provide financial management, facilitate the flow of funds, support contracting, and apply operational expertise for the effective coordination of programmes, projects and cost centres. We also ensure accountability towards donors.
II. Major function of the role: Timely capturing of data into the financial management system. Timely preparation and presentation of all financial reports to the programme managers for submission. Assist Programme managers in the preparation of the annual programme budget. Preparation and support for internal and external financial audits.
III. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Strategy and Planning
· Participates in financial strategy discussions and reviews and pro-actively supports all areas of operations;
Project Budgeting and Management
· Prepares accurate project budgets and sufficiently detailed budget justifications incorporating all relevant cost components while ensuring consistency with the proposed activities
· Ensures that project budgets are in conformance with organisational and donor requirements/formats and that these are timely prepared for necessary reviews/checks prior to submission
· Undertakes rigorous budget management and monitoring over the period of project implementation by ensuring proper tracking of expenditures against approved budgets.
· Ensures that all project cost expenditures are supported by adequate documentation in line with statutory, organisational and donor requirements.
· Maintains safe custody of project related expenditure – receipts, vouchers, contracts and all project records in a neatly filed and easily retrievable manner.
· Takes responsibility for training relevant staff on specific donor rules and regulations for necessary adherence
· Ensures real time updates of al cost expenditures in the Financial system in order for the purposes of generating accurate budget versus actual reports for use in decision-making on a monthly basis;
- Provides sufficiently detailed analysis of projects’ budget versus expenditure variances incorporating budget holders input to aid in decision making
- Jointly with the budget holders prepares forecasts and projections for internal and donor monitoring
- Manages the treasury/cash call process with donors to ensure that projects have sufficient liquidity
- Institutes risk mitigating measures particularly to counter the effect of real and potential forex losses during the life of the project
- Ensures timely and accurate preparation and submission of financial reports related to programmes/projects to donor based on the contractual expectations;
- Manages any specific donor reporting requirements such as match-funding/co-financing in order to meet the donor expectations without adverse effect to the organisation
- Manages the close-out process for projects ensuring that all financial records are up-to-date upon project completion;
· Compiles information for internal and external auditors, as required;
Procurement, Sub-grants and Payments
· Ensures efficient preparation and management of outgoing grants and contracts, including review of sub-grantee financial reports and timely posting into the financial system
· Undertakes assessments of existing and potential partnerships to identify and determine the mitigating measures that should be put in place
· Jointly with the supervisor, develops a supportive supervision plan to address noted areas of concern in the sub-grantee control environment
· Closely monitors the performance of sub-grantees and provides training as and when required
· Undertakes field monitoring visits to sub-grant offices for training or physical review of documents vis-à-vis reports
· Compiles and verifies requests for direct payment and/or advance relating to programme activities;
· Verifies and approves payment vouchers, petty cash vouchers and suppliers’ invoices related to various projects under designated programmes including per diems;
Financial Operations and Controls
· Ensures timely and accurate preparation of reconciliations relating bank accounts, partners accounts or other accounts as assigned;
· Performs accurate and timely financial performance reviews, risk management and ensures action plans and corrective measures are implemented across programme areas;
· Ensures programme compliance with regulatory requirements; and manages relationship with external stakeholders for strategic advantages;
· Ensures prompt cash calls to the donor and disbursements of funds to ensure the smooth flow of project activities
- Bachelor’s degree in a Business field such as accounting, finance, strategic management, business, economics etc.;
- CPA (K) / ACCA and a member of a professional body in good standing;
Key Skills/ Competencies
- Strong planning and financial management skills
- Sound knowledge and experience with donor rules and regulations (EU, USAID, DANIDA etc);
- Knowledge of Accounting software (knowledge of an ERP systems is an added advantage);
- Ability to optimize operations, reduce costs, improve service quality, and develop partnerships
- Budgeting skills and Budget management skills;
- Effective skills in sub-grant management
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels (written and verbal);
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills
- Leadership and people management skills.
- Capacity Building & Training skills
- Has an affinity with the vision of WWF-Kenya and adheres to WWF Kenya’s values
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in programme/projects finance and accounting & reporting, within an international organization with complex donor requirements or a multinational company.
Internal: interacts with the Executive Director, Chief Finance Officer, Heads of Departments, Finance & Operations staff and All WWF Kenya staff.
External: Interacts with Regional WWF Staff, WWF Network, Government Ministries and department, Civil Society Organizations, Service Providers and suppliers, Regulatory Bodies and Other Conservation Agencies
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please Click Here to apply for the role.
Applications will close on 20th February 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.